LFA Café

LFA Café

Register

Want to be an actress but too much self doubt
Read 12892 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
January 26, 2002, 06:02:03 AM
­ Dear MaryAnne,
I'm an aspiring actress waiting for that BIG break. I have an agent and I go on auditions its just... I have never gotten a part and only once have I recieved a call back. I'm starting to doubt my ability to actually act and I'm finding myself not believing in myself anymore which is very important. I actually found your site while I was looking for inspirational quotes for aspiring teen actors to maybe give myself some hope or something. I've been told I have a lot going for me and maybe deep inside I know that, but I just feel like I'm this untalented girl who has nothing going for her and that I am just wasting my time trying. Everytime I watch a movie with a young actor I become so jealous and it makes me want a part even more!!! Kind of like I need to prove to everyone that I can get a part! I was just wondering if you could help me out... maybe by giving me some advice on how to get some more self-confidence or something. Anything you think may help me would be so gratefully appreciated. Thank you so much for your time!
Love always,
Amanda

Where you know you can come for Professional, personal, right on target advice, life skills, crisis intervention,ask questions, confide in guaranteed help. With all the traps, scams, perverts and sites out there that are very unsafe, this site is your safe place. I have been doing this for 10 years.

January 26, 2002, 06:03:04 AM
­ Amanda:

I am sorry you lost what is the most important part of anyone’s life and that is the belief in one’s self. You stated in your letter that you “I just feel like I'm this untalented girl who has nothing going for her and that I am just wasting my time trying.” Well, there is your problem. Whatever you believe about yourself is what other people are going to see and believe about you. I learned this when I was studying and developing a new type of therapy which I finally did. It is in my therapy about all of this. But who I learned it from was dancers and choreographers. These people have found, developed and teach how to use body movements and dance. They have incorporated it into a form of psychotherapy and use it with their students. It is used for all of the arts including acting. You need to get into one of these programs. They will make you through dance, body expression find your own self movement which will bring out that confidence and total fulfillment of who you are and what you want to be. They can watch your movements and tell you exactly what you need, who you are and what you are projecting outside of yourself. If you really want to be an actress it takes more than desire. There are 50,000 others girls with desire. There are always going to be some who are better looking than you are, more talented than you are. So what is going to make the difference in who is noticed and makes it? The one with the PASSION. The one who lives, eats, drinks and sleeps their art. Read about great actors of the past, Mae West, Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford and the great Barrymore family the royalty of the stage and movies. Learn what they put into it and the struggles to get there. If you just want to be famous like most actors today who have little or no talent just hype then you really don’t want to act you just want to be famous and have the perks that go with that fame. Those who are really talented put a lot into it studying going on stage. That to me shows who can really act. Those who love the stage and go there for training they are the true artists of acting. It is easy to get up on TV and read a script especially as bad as they are, you can basically be yourself as long as you can read and be sexy you can do sitcoms. That is going to be hit or miss. If you want to act, if it is in your blood then you will do whatever it takes to bring it all together inside of you. These people with the dance company can help you do that. I found their organization for you to contact them. It is called the American Dance Therapy Association, 2000 Century Plaza, Suite, 108, Columbia MD 21044, (410) 97-4040. They should be able to tell you where a certified instructor in your area or close is. Go and learn become one with yourself to where you have no doubts. You have to believe 110% that you are the best and only you can do this part because it is you. Go to little theaters and get parts in off Broadway plays, or plays in your home town. Again this is how you learn to act and who you learn from. You don’t just become an actor it is an art that takes sweat, tears and lots of hard work. If you really want to act.
So your very first decision is what do you want to do and why? Then put all of who you are into it. Look at me I believe I am a great counselor. I am doing this for free yet I am unable to support myself. But I can not give it up. Because I love people, to help them and I know that I am good at it. It is my everything and I work hard at studying, learning, listening, reading and working day and night. I plan on being known someday and getting paid because I am that good. I know I am. You can make me believe I am not pretty, or talented at anything other than what I do because I know I am able to see inside of people and bring out what they need and show them how to get it. I am right when doctors are wrong. I give what most counselors never give or even have to give. I will never believe that I am not the best at what I do. Someday you will see my name and you will know I did it for the love of it because I starve for it now. I absolutely can not conceive of ever doing anything else. It just isn’t an option. I have to make it because this is my art my talent my passion and I know this without a doubt.
Now do you have what it takes? You have to do it for the love of it and for no other reason.
So Amanda go do what it takes after you answer your questions. Maybe you really don’t want to be a real actor. You need to find out so you can pursue your passion whatever it is. I believe God gave each of us a gift that makes each and everyone of us special. It is up to us to find that gift, make it flourish and use it. Some people find theirs some don’t. You are young and you have plenty of time to find yours. BUT first rule in or out acting by doing these things and answering the questions above.
If you need any more help or want to talk some more about your feelings and getting self confidence just write me I am here for you. I support you in whatever you decide you want to pursue. You can never be a failure as long as you are trying something, anything just do it.
These are my words of Advice to you on how to find out what is truly your passion in your heart and if it is acting how to go about getting to the place that you can someday consider yourself an actor.
Let me know what you decide to do because I care and truly would like to know what you do and to know if you are happy with your choice.
I am here,
MaryAnne

Where you know you can come for Professional, personal, right on target advice, life skills, crisis intervention,ask questions, confide in guaranteed help. With all the traps, scams, perverts and sites out there that are very unsafe, this site is your safe place. I have been doing this for 10 years.