LFA Café

LFA Café

Register

PLEASE HELP
Read 3481 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
* April 13, 2004, 02:30:39 PM
­IVE BEEN DATING MY BOYFRIEND FOR SOME TIME NOW. HES BEEN VERY BUSY IN THE LAST MONTH BECAUSE HE'S LEAVING FOR THE ARMY NEXT MONTH AND IS TRAINING VERY HARD BECASUE HE HAS A MATCH IN THREE WEEKS(HES A BOXER)SO BECASUE OF THAT IVE SEEN HIM FIVE TIMES IN THE LAST MONTH. HE DOESNT CALL ME AND WHEN HE DOES WE TALK FOR A FEW MINUTES.WHEN WE'RE TOGETHER THINGS ARE REALLY GREAT! I WANT TO SPEND MORE TIME WITH HIM BECAUSE HES GOING TO BE GONE FOR SIX MONTHS, I LOVE HIM A LOT AND HE ASKED ME TO MARRY HIM SO WE COULD BE TOGETHER WHERE HES GOING TO BE STATIONED AT BUT I CANT DO THAT(TO YOUNG TO DO SO) SOME OF MY FRIENDS SAY I SHOULD DUMP HIM. I UNDERSTAND THAT HES BUSY BUT I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! HES 25 IM 18 AND WE HAVE NOT HAD SEX, COULD THAT BE WHY HES IS SORT OF IGNORING ME? PLEASE HELP ME I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

April 17, 2004, 10:04:52 PM
­ Amysi:

First thing to do is calm down. I mean you wrote twice on the forum and then here all in caps which means you are really stressed here. You can’t think or listen if you are bouncing off walls so calm down ok? Nothing is life or death no matter how it may feel. Take that from years of experience. I am going ahead and answering you via email and putting the same response up on the forum.
Now, what you need is a good lesson in “ Military Men 101” so that is what I am going to give you. Guys that join the military are “different” and this is good that you are seeing this now so you can decide if this is the kind of life you want to have or not. It will always be this way. I went through the war with all military guys and that was all I dated so I know from where I speak. Now, guys in the military you have to understand that the military will always come first and you will always come second. That is something all military wives have to understand. Their lives are on the line and they are making a commitment that is soooo serious. They also become very close to their outfit and you will have to play second to the guys in his outfit. These guys have to watch each other’s backs, keep each other alive. This is no game and as important as love is compared to what these guys go through in the military not meeting your “in love” needs just isn’t and can’t be number one saving their lives and those of their teammates is. Can you understand that? Are you watching any of this stuff going on about Iraq? You can get a good idea of how life and death serious this is. You even said when he is with you it is wonderful. He asked you to marry him so I disagree with your friends. If you love him and are willing to be second and realize it has nothing to do with his love for you then I would say it is up to you if you can stick it out with him and support him all the way. You will always be lonely, have to rely on girlfriends, do many things alone, raise your children mostly by yourself. It is a very lonely life for the wife and they have all these support groups for wives of military men because they have a hard time taking it. It is not an easy way to go as far as a marriage so you do need time to think, feel, watch and grow up to see if this is really the kind of life you really want.
But as far as his actions they are perfectly normal and natural and I truly believe they have nothing to do with you. It has to do with what he has chosen to do with his life and it is a “total” commitment that comes above all else including his own life.
There are lots of problems with military marriages and many end in divorce. The wife has to do all the sacrificing and doing without her needs being met most of the time. It is very lonely life as far as not having a full time husband even when he is home on leave.
So you have much to learn, much growing. It is good you are not going to marry at 18 and give this a while. See how he does after he settles in. He will come back more to you once he has been in a year or so. Then you will know all the answers you need to know by then. For now be patient, let him talk about what he is doing, don’t listen to your friends unless you are trying to change him and they say get out because you can’t then they are right. If you can understand, be supportive and patient as I say he will come back some and you will also find out all the answers you need to whether you want to marry him. You really are lucky all that you need to know will unfold naturally with time. For now enjoy him while he is with you and when you are with him ask him for some reassurance. Tell him what you are feeling and ask him if his feelings have changed. If he reassures you and still wants to marry you then just go with it until you decide whether he and the military are what you want for your future.
There really isn’t anything going wrong other than your not understanding men and that is normal for your age. Just know that as long as he keeps telling you that you are the one and that when you are together things are great let him do what he has to.
You find a way to get yourself a life. It isn’t good for him to be your life anyway.
As long as you love him I would not drop him as your friends say. If you feel you need more from a guy and don’t love him then still have a talk with him and just tell him you can’t live this kind of life and want out. That is your decision and you will have to decide where you stand on this and if your love for him is strong enough to endure the loneliness and always being second.
I hope this helps you understand and I would like to know what you decide and how you handle this situation. So please write me back and let me know what you decide to do.
MaryAnne

Where you know you can come for Professional, personal, right on target advice, life skills, crisis intervention,ask questions, confide in guaranteed help. With all the traps, scams, perverts and sites out there that are very unsafe, this site is your safe place. I have been doing this for 10 years.

April 17, 2004, 10:35:58 PM
­ Heidi:

Oh I forgot one thing from your letter. SEX has nothing to do with it. In fact that would be the worst thing you could do. Sex has never kept a guy and never will. You will lose his respect and possibly his wanting to marry you. Leave sex out of this it is about being a military man or any man who has a "focus" and just having sex will confuse the issue and he will still leave and you will still have to think all of this stuff through and make the same decisions. I am proud of you and him for not having sex that shows there is definitely something deeper and more lasting between the two of you.
Unfortunately girls use sex as a weapon and it always fails and the girl is the one left with all the consequences.
It has never answered any problem or made any relationship better that has problems. It is to be a way to show in the most intimate way just how much two people love each other after working everything out and knowing you are going to spend your lives together. So forget that. It most likely would make you lose him.
OK that was it I just forgot to address that issue and don't want you to go off thinking it would solve any thing other than maybe losing him and you getting pregnant or feeling so cheap when you two broke up. You have waited this long wait till it is forever and you have too many questions and issues to work out before sex should even be an issue.
Let me know what happens,
MaryAnne

Where you know you can come for Professional, personal, right on target advice, life skills, crisis intervention,ask questions, confide in guaranteed help. With all the traps, scams, perverts and sites out there that are very unsafe, this site is your safe place. I have been doing this for 10 years.