LFA Café

LFA Café

Register

Need to find help in a small town
Read 4987 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
October 02, 2001, 04:23:25 PM
­ Dear MaryAnne,

I have Anxiety/Panic and Depression. I live in a small town in Ohio and am trying to find resources for support groups, therapy or anything that might help. I'm only capable of going a limited distance, and I don't have any money to afford counseling. I have no one to ask or anywhere to go really. And I don't think online support will really help... Have any advice?

Where you know you can come for Professional, personal, right on target advice, life skills, crisis intervention,ask questions, confide in guaranteed help. With all the traps, scams, perverts and sites out there that are very unsafe, this site is your safe place. I have been doing this for 10 years.

October 02, 2001, 04:24:42 PM
­ Dear A:

Well you are definitely thinking of the best course of action and I agree that on line therapy is still in its infancy and it would be better to be in person. OK, small town, every town it is my understanding as a Social Worker is there is a county mental health center and they will see you for free or at least on what is called a “sliding scale.” Which means what you can afford to pay. You can look on the Internet under your county and the state of Ohio and mental health centers and you should be able to find it. I think this will answer both of your problems if not write me back and I will help you look at another angle but you should be able to get help at the county mental health center.
One other thing, for support group why don’t you start one yourself? Start a support group for panic, anxiety and depressed people I am sure there are many people who suffer from one or all of those. A support group does not have to be run by a therapist. You just have to make sure you have an agenda and not spend all your sessions going over and over your problems. Make the group have a topic a week and use the session to give everyone a chance to share their feelings, and pick on person a week that is allowed to deal with something that is bothering them and the group gives them support and feedback and then pick the topic of the week and discuss it and solutions for it. The goal is to find ways to deal with these three issues in constructive ways instead of just worrying about them or living with them. Try it you can do it and people will come. Put flyers up or an add in the paper or both.
If you can’t find help through these ways write me back even though this is a one time problem since it is for free, I want to help you get the help you need so we will work at it together OK?
I will be looking for a follow up letter.
God Bless,
MaryAnne

Where you know you can come for Professional, personal, right on target advice, life skills, crisis intervention,ask questions, confide in guaranteed help. With all the traps, scams, perverts and sites out there that are very unsafe, this site is your safe place. I have been doing this for 10 years.

October 02, 2001, 10:47:30 PM
­ Dear MaryAnne

Thanks for your advice! I managed to come up with some things very fast based
off your ideas. I found a counseling service based on a "sliding fee" as you
said. I made an appointment and look forward to receiving some counseling
finally! Also, I thought about what you said about starting my own support
group. I'm a bit young, and sometimes all these resources pass me by.
Especially when most of my problems come from parents who hinder my ideas.
But from the ideas you gave me I've had some added hope and I appreciate it
tremendously! It's wonderful what you are doing, I'm sure it helps many by
the moment. Thanks so much